His Majesty King Tupou V1 last week officially appointed Tonga’s newly elected Prime Minister (PM), Hon. Pohiva Tu’i’onetoa.
The new PM also presented to Hi Majesty his Cabinet lineup. They are as follows:
1. Prime Minister & Public Enterprises – Hon. Dr. Pohiva Tu'i'onetoa
2. Deputy Prime Minister & Ministry of Justice and Prison – Hon. Vuna Fa'otusia
3. Minister of Lands, Survey and Natural Disaster & Ministry of Defence & His Majesty’s Armed Forces - Lord Ma'afu
4. Minister of Finance and National Planning & Customs and Inland Revenue – Hon. Tevita Lavemaau
5. Minister of Education and Training - Siaosi Sovaleni
6. Minister of Health - Dr. 'Amelia Afuha'amango Tu'ipulotu
7. Minister of Ministry of Infrastructure & Tourism - 'Akosita Lavulavu
8. Minister of Police and Fire Services – Lord Nuku
9. Minister for Labour and Trade – Hon. Samiu Vaipulu
10. Minister of Internal Affairs – Hon. Vatau Hui
11. Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries – Lord Tu'ilakepa
12. MEIDECC Minister – Hon. Poasi Tei
Elected members of the Legislative Assembly held a special meeting on the 27th of September, elected Hon. Tu’i’onetoa as the new Prime Minister defeating the former Deputy Prime Minister Semisi Sika in 15-8 secret ballot votes.
The election of the new PM followed the sudden death of former late PM, Hon. ‘Akilisi Pohiva last month.
Dr. Tu’i’onetoa’s government will run for the next two years until the general election in 2021.
Meanwhile, the Legislative Assembly is adjourned until further notice for the swearing-in of the new Prime Minister and his Cabinet.
The by-election for Tongatapu 1 constituency is set for November 28.